NASA and SpaceX now are targeting 9 a.m. EST Sunday, Jan. 19, for launch of the company’s In-Flight Abort Test from Launch Complex 39A in Florida, which will demonstrate Crew Dragon’s ability to safely escape the Falcon 9 rocket in the event of a failure during launch. The abort test has a six-hour launch window ending at 2 p.m. this afternoon.
Teams continue to monitor the weather conditions for today’s launch attempt, splashdown and recovery of the Crew Dragon spacecraft for the best time to launch the abort demonstration.
Meteorologists with the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing continue predict a 60% chance of favorable weather for launch toward the opening of the window with a 40% chance toward the end of the window. The primary concerns for launch day are the thick cloud layer and flight through precipitation rules during the launch window.
The test launch will air on NASA Television and the agency’s website. Here’s the upcoming mission coverage:
Sunday, Jan. 19
- 8:40 a.m. – NASA TV test coverage begins for the 9 a.m. liftoff
- 10:30 a.m. – Post-test news conference at Kennedy, with the following representatives:
- NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
- SpaceX representative
- Kathy Lueders, manager, NASA Commercial Crew Program
- Victor Glover, astronaut, NASA Commercial Crew Program
- Mike Hopkins, astronaut, NASA Commercial Crew Program
Learn more about NASA’s Commercial Crew Program by following the commercial crew blog, @commercial_crew and commercial crew on Facebook.