The SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 rocket are vertical and set for a 10:30 a.m. EST launch of the company’s In-Flight Abort Test from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
The test will demonstrate Crew Dragon’s ability to safely escape the Falcon 9 rocket in the event of a failure during launch. The abort test launch window ends at 2 p.m. EST this afternoon.
Launch coverage will begin at 10:10 a.m., followed at noon by a post-test news conference with representatives from NASA and SpaceX. The launch and post-test news conference will air on NASA Television and the agency’s website.
Mission Timeline (all times approximate)
45:00 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for propellant load
37:00 Dragon launch escape system is armed
35:00 RP-1 (rocket grade kerosene) loading begins
35:00 1st stage LOX (liquid oxygen) loading begins
16:00 2nd stage LOX loading begins
07:00 Falcon 9 begins engine chill prior to launch
05:00 Dragon transitions to internal power
01:00 Command flight computer to begin final prelaunch checks
01:00 Propellant tank pressurization to flight pressure begins
00:45 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for launch
00:03 Engine controller commands engine ignition sequence to start
00:00 Falcon 9 liftoff
Meteorologists with the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing continue to predict a 60% chance of favorable weather toward the opening of the window with a 40% chance toward the end of the window. The primary concerns for launch day are the thick cloud layer and flight through precipitation rules during the launch window.