NASA employee Parimal Kopardekar and his team have been selected for a Sammie award, recognizing their exceptional work on a UAV traffic management system. See article at: https://servicetoamericamedals.org/honorees/view_profile.php?profile=516
The Samuel J. Heyman Service to America awards (nicknamed the “Sammies”) are known as the “Oscar” awards for government service – they are a highly respected honor conferred after an extremely vigorous selection process. Named for the Partnership for Public Service’s late founder who was inspired by President Kennedy’s call to serve in 1963, these awards align with his vision of a dynamic and innovative federal workforce that meets the needs of the American people.
An award winner is selected for each of the following categories:
• Federal Employee of the Year
• Career Achievement
• Homeland Security and Law Enforcement
• Management Excellence
• National Security and International Affairs
• Promising Innovations
• Science and Environment
For each category, nominees must show:
• Strong commitment to federal service
• A significant accomplishment within their field that meets the needs of the American people
• Excellence in customer service to citizens or other beneficiaries
Award recipients are chosen from the field of finalists by a selection committee comprised of national leaders representing government, business, entertainment, media and the non-profit/foundation community. The members of the selection committee rank the finalists in each category based on:
• The significance and impact of their accomplishments
• How well they foster innovation
• Demonstrated leadership
• The extent to which they exemplify excellence in public service
Winners are announced at a black-tie gala in the early fall, and winners receive cash in the amount of several thousands of dollars. A complete list of this year’s winners is available here, and a list of previous winners (including individuals such as Bill Gerstenmaier) is available here, and I encourage all interested individuals to read about the amazing accomplishments of our Federal employees.
Additional information on the Sammies awards is available at: https://servicetoamericamedals.org/.
This is a great accomplishment and recognition for our workforce and for ARMD, ARC, and NASA!