Binary Colloidal Alloy Test – Cohesive Sedimentation (BCAT-CS): The crew replaced all four SB-800 flash batteries with new AA batteries; they then verified the camera focus and alignment with manual images. Recent reports from the BCAT team indicate the pixel brightness in the downlinked images is higher for the ISS samples compared to ground samples. This is possibly due to more spherical aggregates as they form in microgravity. The brightness may need to be corrected in future images. BCAT-CS focuses on the study of forces between particles that cluster together by using sediments of quartz and clay particles. Conducting the research in the microgravity environment of the ISS makes it possible to separate the forces acting on the particles over a short range (adhesive forces) versus those acting over a long range (cohesive forces). The quartz/clay system is commonly found in a wide variety of environmental settings (such as rivers, lakes, and oceans) and plays an important role in technological efforts related to deep-sea hydrocarbon drilling and carbon dioxide sequestration.
Human Research Facility Portable Computer (HRF PC): The crew attempted to perform the HRF PC software updates today, but encountered issues connecting to the network. Some troubleshooting was performed to verify the cause of the connection issues, the hardware was then returned to the original configuration. The HRF PCs are used to install and execute software that supports HRF experiments. They are also used to control equipment; to collect and store data, crew notes, and equipment notes; and to provide uplink and downlink capabilities.
JAXA Protein Crystallization Growth (JAXA LT PCG): The crew completed the transfer of two sets of JAXA LTPCG Samples from the HTV/ICE Box on HTV-7 to the Freezer-Refrigerator Of STirling cycle (FROST). The objective of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Protein Crystallization Growth (JAXA LT PCG) investigation is to grow high quality protein crystals in microgravity to determine protein structures in detail. The structures are used to develop pharmaceutical drugs in order to explore the mystery of our lives.
Japanese Experiment Module Airlock (JEMAL) Operations: The crew installed the Multi-Purpose Experiment Platform (MPEP) Adapter Plate and JEM AL Slide Table Passive Capture Mechanism in preparation for the upcoming JEM Small Satellite Orbital Deployer 10 (J-SSOD) installation on Monday. The J-SSOD is a unique satellite launcher, handled by the Japanese Experiment Module Remote Manipulator System (JEMRMS), which provides containment and deployment mechanisms for several individual small satellites. Once the J-SSOD is installed on the MPEP by crewmembers, it’s passed through the JEM airlock for retrieval, positioning and deployment by the JEMRMS.
HII Transfer Vehicle (HTV)-7 Cargo Transfer: The crew completed 11 hours 30 minutes of HTV-7 Cargo transfer operations today. The crew completed enough cargo operations today and will be able to move forward with the rack transfers currently scheduled for Monday. Ground specialists estimate it will take the crew a total of 15 hours to complete the first message.
Mobile Servicing System (MSS) Operations: This evening, Robotics Ground Controllers will be powering up the MSS, maneuvering the Space Station Remote Manipulator System (SSRMS) to extract the External Platform (EP) from the HTV-7 Unpressurized Logistics Carrier (ULC), and installing it on the Payload and ORU Accommodation (POA).
Completed Task List Activities:
All activities are complete unless otherwise noted.
- C2V2 R2 Full RF Demonstration
- External Platform (EP) Extract from HTV and Stow on POA
- SPDM Unstow
Two-Day Look Ahead:
Saturday, 09/29: Housekeeping and Off Duty
Sunday, 09/30: HRF Saliva Collection, Off Duty
- J-SSOD 10 install on JEMAL slide table
- FROST2 Controller Replace
- HTV Cargo Transfer
- Life Science Glovebox (LSG) hardware temporarily installed into JPM1F5
- Express Rack 9B transfer from HTV-7 to COL1F2
- RSR transfer from JPM1A5 to HTV-7
- Express Rack 10B transfer from HTV-7 to JPM1A5
- RSR transfer from LAB1P1 to HTV-7
- Life Support Rack (LSR) transfer from HTV-7 to LAB1P1
- MSS Operations: MT Translation to WS7
Today’s Planned Activities:
All activities are complete unless otherwise noted.
- Binary Colloidal Alloy Test-Cohesive Sedimentation SB-800 Flash Battery Changeout
- Binary Colloidal Alloy – Cohesive Sedimentation Camera Check
- Data Preparation for Return
- Record COP24 script
- Record ESTEC Open Day 2018 script
- Record Wildscreen Festival script
- EVA Procedure Review for Suit IV
- Flight Director/ISS CREW CONFERENCE
- Health Maintenance System (HMS) ISS Food Intake Tracker (ISS FIT)
- Health Maintenance System (HMS) ISS Medical Accessories Kit (IMAK) Unpack from HTV7
- Health Maintenance System (HMS) Personal Medication Stow
- Zbook PC2 Stow [Aborted]
- Zbook Transfer to Express Rack 3 [Aborted]
- Perform Data Connections Between HRF Rack 1 and Zbook PC1 [Aborted]
- H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV) Ingress
- Review HTV-7 Rack Transfer Big Picture Words
- Delta file prep
- International Procedure Viewer Tablet Questionnaire
- ISS Crew departure preparation
- MPEP Installation to JEM Airlock Slide Table
- JAXA Video Taking
- JEM Airlock Slide Table (ST) Extension to JPM Side
- JEM Airlock Slide Table (ST) Retraction from JPM Side
- Transfer ICE Box 3 Temperature Logger data to JAXA Laptop
- JAXA LTPCG Transfer
- Lighting Effects Sleep Log Entry Subject
- Node 2 Nadir Common Berthing Mechanism (CBM) Controller Panel Assembly (CPA) Removal
- Node 2 Nadir to HTV Vestibule Outfitting Part 2
- Cascading Failure Recovery OBT for USOS crew
- On-Board Training (OBT) HTV OBT post capture Conference
- HTV Emergency Procedure Review
- Making a documentary about life onboard the ISS
- Environmental Control and Life Support System (RGN) Wastewater Storage Tank Assembly (WSTA) Fill
- Spacetex-2 questionnaire filling
- Team Task Switching Experiment Survey Subject
- Ultrasound 2 HRF 1 Power on [Aborted]
- Restow Node 2 Nadir Vestibule Outfitting Kit (VOK)
- XF305 Camcorder Setup
- Transfer Operations – Prepack of US items to be loaded into Soyuz
- Transfer Operations – Pack and stow items on HTV
- HTV Cargo Operations Conference
- BIODEGRADATION Structure Surface Sampling and Photography
- Monitoring shutter closure on windows 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14. Note 9
- ISS Crew and ГОГУ (RSA Flight Control Team) Weekly Conference
- ECON-M. Observations and photo (Task list)
- Nikon still camera sync with station time
- PROFILAKTIKA-2. Operator Assistance in Preparation for the Experiment
- PROFILAKTIKA-2. Experiment Ops on БД-2 Treadmill (Individual strategy test). PROFILAKTIKA-2. Hygiene Procedures
- PROFILAKTIKA-2. Closeout Ops.
- PROFILAKTIKA-2. Preparation for the experiment.
- VZAIMODEYSTVIE-2. EXPERIMENT OPS
- СОЖ Maintenance. Distillate sampling from ЕДВ 1191
- HTV Air Sampling using АК-1М
- Dosimeter data readout and Pille flash-card replacement
- Soyuz 738 Transfer Ops
- Soyuz 738 СУДН No.2 test prior to undocking.
- Visual inspection and leak check, using US leak detector ULD in the orbital compartment [БО] of Soyuz №739. Report to MCC during comm pass
- Soyuz 738 АСУ Activation
- Soyuz 738 Stowage Complete Report