Sally Ride Earth Knowledge Acquired by Middle Schools (EarthKAM) Lens Change: The crew exchanged the currently-installed 50mm camera lens for an 85mm camera lens. This activity is typically performed about halfway through an EarthKAM mission to give the students different options for their targets. As of the last report, almost 21,000 students from 33 countries were participating. EarthKAM allows thousands of students to photograph and examine Earth from a space crew’s perspective. Using the Internet, the students control a special digital camera mounted on-board the ISS. This enables them to photograph the Earth’s coastlines, mountain ranges and other geographic items of interest from the unique vantage point of space. The EarthKAM team then posts these photographs on the Internet for viewing by the public and participating classrooms around the world.
HXP2 Safing Ops: The crew removed the EVA bolt 2 on ExHAM#2, which was found to be loose during ops on 6-August earlier this year. The EVA bolt is a contingency release mechanism, intended to be used when the primary release method for attachment to the handrail fails. However, in its current state it is better to remove the EVA bolt and associated hardware rather than risk it coming apart and causing other issues. Taking advantage of Kibo’s unique function of having both an airlock and a robotic arm on the ISS, the ExHAM (Exposed Experiment Handrail Attachment Mechanism) facility enables space experiments to be performed in the exposed space environment, by attachment to the Japanese Experiment Module Kibo’s Exposed Facility.
Mobile Servicing System (MSS) Robotics Operations: Robotics Ground Controllers powered up the MSS in support of crew Cygnus Offset Grapple practice. During this On-Board-Training (OBT) session, the crew took turns flying the SSRMS into the grapple envelope of the Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) Flight Releasable Grapple Fixture (FRGF) for training/familiarization in preparation for NG-14 capture.
Urine Processing Assembly (UPA) Brine Filter: As part of regular maintenance, the ISS crew opened up the UPA Fill Drain Valve Enclosure and removed the installed/old Brine Filter and replaced it with a new Brine Filter. Brine Filters are replaced every 60 days.
Regenerative Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) Recycle Tank Drain/Fill: Today, the crew set up the recycle tank to drain to a ЕДВ-У. Following the setup the ground performed the tank drain using the Urine Transfer System (UTS). Once the ground specialists completed the transfer, the crew verified the recycle tank was empty, terminated the drain, and repositioned the fill/drain valve to fill. The crew also swapped the ЕДВ in the offload ЕДВ spot of the UTS.
ISS Leak Detection Operations: Today, the crew continued to search for the location of the source of the leak. MCC-M has determined the leak is located in the PRK [ПPK]. The forward plan for the PRK leak is currently to continue leak pinpoint operations utilizing the Ultrasonic Leak Detector (ULD).
Completed Task List Activities:
- Cygnus Big Picture Words for SSRMS Capture
- ESA cargo consolidation in Columbus
Today’s Ground Activities:
All activities are complete unless otherwise noted.
- Recycle Tank Drain Ground Support
- Ground Support for Cygnus Offset Grapple
- Equinox Voltage Max Power Testing
Look Ahead Plan
Thursday, 10/1 (GMT 275)
- Astrobee On
- Avatar-X Setup
- GLACIER2 Desiccant Swap
- Nanoracks PF2 Troubleshooting
- SABL3 Controller Swap
- WHC Pump Separator R&R
- MAX CEVIS
- HMS PHS Exams
Friday, 10/2 (GMT 276)
- Echo Hard Drive Install
- Payload NAS Vent Clean
- Robo Pro Checkout
- ARED Qtrly Inspection
- Cygnus Capture Rvw
- Cygnus Cargo Rvw/Conf
- PCS Relocates
- Cygnus ROBoT OBT – Session 2
Saturday, 10/3 (GMT 277)
- No Utilization Activities
- Crew Off Duty
Today’s Planned Activities:
All activities are complete unless otherwise noted.
- Radi-N Detector Retrieval/Readout
- ТБУ (Universal Bioengineering Thermostat). Checking ТБУ-В No.07 thermostat temperature and unobstructed area near ТБУ-В inlet/outlet vents
- Radiation Dosimetry Inside ISS-Neutrons Hardware Handover
- MATRYOSHKA-R. Handover of BUBBLE-dosimeters from USOS
- UPA Brine Filter Gather
- Regenerative Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) Urine Processor Assembly (UPA) Brine Filter Changeout
- Regenerative Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) Recycle Tank Drain/Fill
- Video recording of answers for the Good Morning, Pomorye show
- JEM Camera Robot Activation
- Handhold Exp Platform #2 (HXP2) Item Preparation, Safing Familiarization and Operations
- MATRYOSHKA-R. BUBBLE-dosimeter gathering and measurements
- Robotic Workstation (RWS) Setup
- INTER-MAI-75. Hardware setup and activation in SSTV mode
- INTER-MAI-75. Photography of the Experiment Ops
- Urine Transfer System Offload EDV Swap
- On-board Training (OBT) Cygnus Offset Grapple
- Leak search in SM window area with the use of Ultrasonic Leak Detector (ULD) [ABORTED]
- EarthKAM. Camera lens change in Node 2
- URAGAN. Installation and activation of Auto Orientation System For Video Spectral Equipment (SOVA) and of photo equipment
- INTER-MAI-75. Hardware deactivation and cleanup