WANAKA, New Zealand – NASA postponed the scheduled launch of its super pressure balloon (SPB) from Wanaka, New Zealand, at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 19, (3:30 p.m., Monday, April 19 in EDT) due to unacceptable weather conditions for launch operations.
The team brought the payload out to the flight line, laid out the balloon’s protective ground cloth and took the balloon out to the flight line. However, winds at lower-levels (at 250 meters) remained too high, preventing the team from moving forward with launch operations.
“We were close today,” said Debbie Fairbrother, NASA’s Balloon Program Office chief. “It’s unfortunate but not unusual; we’ll be ready when Mother Nature is.”
NASA will announce by 2 p.m. today (Tuesday, April 19) whether or not Wednesday’s weather will support a launch attempt. At this time, Thursday’s weather is looking more favorable for a potential launch attempt.